Sunday, July 17, 2011

Where do you want to be in five years?

Q:  Where do you want to be in five years?
A:   After my first two years of teaching, I’d like to begin pursuing my Master’s degree in Professional Writing.  I’d like to get involved in several writing projects with the possibility of writing a teacher resource book or two – giving back to the profession in some way.  And, I’d like to be a continuing and positive influence in the lives of high school students – sharing with them the joys (and even some of the frustrations) of writing.

            Too many candidates make the mistake of being wishy-washy with the response to this question.  Provide the interviewer with two or three carefully chosen, and carefully thought out responses.  If you say something like, “Well I just hope I’m still teaching here at Excellent High School” you have blown the answer.  The interviewer wants to hear clear and concrete responses – an indication that you have given serious and sustained consideration to your future.

üEXTRA CREDIT:
     If you don’t understand a point, ask that it be restated or explained further.  For example, “In other words, you would like to know….”

No comments:

Post a Comment