Saturday, April 21, 2018

What is Your Greatest Asset?

Not only do principals want to know about your teaching expertise; so too do they want some insight into your personality.  An interview, therefore, is designed to tap into many areas of who you are and what you believe.  Here's a question I heard in many interview - one that reveals a lot of information in a short amount if time.

     What is the greatest asset you will bring to the teaching profession?

     A:   From a very early age I’ve always considered myself a learner…a very passionate learner.  Whether it was learning how to ride a bicycle, learning a foreign language, or learning about a new piece of technology I’ve always been excited about learning.  I enjoy the challenge of learning new material, new ideas, and new perspective on old concepts.  I believe I can bring that excitement about learning and that passion for new information into my classroom.  I believe I can model the joy, the thrill, and the enthusiasm I have for learning with my students…not just every so often, but every single day.  If my students see my excitement for learning, they also will also be excited about learning.
This question is one of self-awareness.  Be sure you are able to diagnose your personal thoughts and identify the attributes that will make you an outstanding teacher.  Focus on one or two strengths and how those strengths relate directly to teaching.  Your ability to do a kick flip and pop shove it on your skateboard may be some of your perceived skills, but they’re not related to teaching…and should not be part of your response.

No comments:

Post a Comment