Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What kind of principal would you like to work for?

     Q:  What kind of principal would you like to work for?
     A:   From my own observations and conversations with teachers I think that a good relationship with a building principal needs to be based on trust and communication.  I can certainly help in that regard by always keeping my principal informed.  I know that the last thing any administrator needs or wants is a surprise.  If I was inviting a guest speaker into my classroom, setting up a terrarium with a collection of snakes, or assigning a controversial book for my students to read, I would want to inform my principal.  I’ve learned that keeping the principal in the loop, information-wise, is always a good idea.  If I have a problem student or anticipate the storming of the office by an irate parent, I should let my principal know early on.  A well-informed principal can assist me in working through a problem, particularly if she or he has information early in the process.  That information sharing, I believe, is critical in establishing both trust and open lines of communication between me and my principal.

            Your answer to this question is also an answer to the single-most important question of the entire interview (see post on the "Most Important Question").  Administrators want to hire people who will not create problems, but will make the principal’s job a little easier.  You will note that a good response to this query is pro-active rather than reactive.  Rather than describe the principal (which may or may not match the person interviewing you), explain what you will do to enhance a positive teacher/principal relationship.  You’ll get more points that way.

INSIDER TIP:
     Some books recommend that you take notes during the interview.  My conversations with principals reveal that it’s a bad idea simply because it’s difficult to write, listen, and develop a rapport - all at the same time.  You are frequently distracted and often mis-focused.  My advice: save the multi-tasking for another time.


No comments:

Post a Comment