Saturday, November 6, 2010

Why do you want to be a teacher?

     Q:   Why do you want to be a teacher?
     A:   I’m passionate about kids.  I’ve worked as a volunteer at the YMCA camp, I’ve coached a Little League baseball team, and I was a guest storyteller for one semester at Happy Acres Elementary School.  I believe I can be a positive influence in the lives of children.  One of my college professors always used to say that teachers should be outstanding role models for children.  I believe I’m a good model because I’m involved in the lives of kids – not just in the classroom, but in all those activities that take place outside the classroom.

            This question is actually two questions in one.  An interviewer is often looking for the response to “How dedicated are you?” and “How passionate are you?”  If you can succinctly address those two queries you will always impress an interviewer.  Make sure the focus is on your specific reasons for entering the teaching profession.  A response like, “Many members of my family, including my grandmother, my aunt, two nieces, and my mother have been teachers – so it seemed natural for me to become one, too.” will always turn off an interviewer.  Keep the focus on your reasons and don’t talk for more than two minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment