Monday, December 5, 2011

What are some teaching methods used in full inclusion classrooms?

     Q:  What are some teaching methods used in full inclusion classrooms?
     A:   One method is the One Teach One Support method.  With this method students sit in rows in front of the chalkboard and instructing teacher.  As the teacher, I would station myself off to the right or left of the students in order to provide extra help and support as needed. In this model the participants are all following my instruction so that no child is excluded.  I could also use Station Teaching. Using this method my classroom would be divided into two, even three, different sections.  One group of students would be situated facing horizontally toward the blackboard; the second would be arranged vertically facing the right wall.  If a third group is present they would be arranged parallel to their vertically arranged classmates and will be turned to face the opposite wall or the front of the classroom.  Students with special needs will be divided among these groups evenly.  A third method I could use would be Parallel Teaching.  In this case my classroom would be arranged so that students are split into two groups. These two groups would be placed back to back with students from each group facing me.  One group would face me in the front of the classroom, and the other group with face the special education teacher in the rear of the classroom.  Students with special needs would be divided equally between these two groups and their classmates - making sure that one group doesn’t contain all the special needs students.  Of course, these aren’t the only options I could use, but they are some of the most effective in terms of a full inclusion classroom.

            If the answer above sounds detailed and specific – that is intentional.  If I was a betting person, I could almost guarantee you that you’ll get a question (or two) regarding inclusion – especially if you are an elementary teacher.  Take the time and make the effort to know everything you can about inclusion.  Otherwise, it’s lights out…for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment