Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Why did you decide to major in biology (or history or elementary education)?

Q    Q:    Why did you decide to major in biology (or history or elementary education)?
A:   Ever since I was in fifth grade I’ve been fascinated with biology.  I’ve always had a desire to know as much as I can about the flora and fauna of a particular area.  I belong to the local chapter of the Isaac Walton League, I’ve worked at the state natural history museum as a summer intern, and I established a pond study project while I was in high school.  Biology is a love of mine and can’t think of anything I’d rather do than share my passion for the subject with a new generation of learners.

            This is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate your passion and your ardor for a particular subject.  Let the interviewer hear that excitement in your response; let the interviewer get a sense of how committed and sincere your interest is.  Make sure you defend your choice of major with some specific examples of how you have used it outside of normal academic requirements (e.g. volunteer work; clubs, organizations, and community agencies; out of classroom experiences).  You’ll earn major “brownie points” if you can show that your selection of a major was not one of convenience, but rather one of commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment