Monday, October 3, 2011

What might your college supervisor want to change about your teaching style?

Q:   What might your college supervisor want to change about your teaching style?
     A:   I’m a detail person; my supervisor likes to look at the big picture.  I would obsess over the smallest detail, the tiniest item, or the smallest bit of information – making sure that each and every piece was part of a perfect lesson.  My supervisor tried to get me to look at the larger picture – the overall goals of a lesson or unit.  While I’m still concerned about all the necessary details of a lesson plan, I’ve come to see the importance of where I’m headed in each lesson.  I’ve learned that an eye on the standards – rather than simply the pebbles along the path – will often make the journey more productive for my students.  My supervisor helped me appreciate the journey as much as the destination.

            Here’s a great opportunity for you to demonstrate how you handle criticism as well as how much you are willing to adjust your philosophy.  Are you inflexible or are you open to change?  Are you set in your ways or are you willing to look at a situation from a new angle?  Whenever you are asked one of these types of questions it’s always a good idea to point out some minor differences of opinion, rather than a major conflict.  Equally important, demonstrate how you worked with someone (your college supervisor, for example) on resolving the issue.  Show how you can accommodate the ideas of others and especially how you can do that in a spirit of shared cooperation.

No comments:

Post a Comment