Saturday, July 30, 2011

What are the three courses you took that shaped the teacher you will be?

Q:  What are the three courses you took that shaped the teacher you will be?
A:   I took “Teaching Elementary Science” from Professor Sunday.  She got me excited about an inquiry-based approach to science education – an approach that stimulates student questions and offers opportunities for students to pursue answers to their own self-initiated questions.  In “Teaching Elementary Social Studies,” Dr. Hansen taught me about the value of “hands-on, minds-on” teaching – that is, not only providing children with necessary information, but giving them an opportunity to do something with that information.  I also took “Topics in Children’s Literature” from Dr. Smithton who showed me the value of a literature-rich curriculum.  I discovered some incredible books that I can use in all subject areas, not just reading.  These three courses, and these three individuals, showed me that teaching can be exciting, dynamic, and practical for each and every student in a classroom.  They are lessons I will never forget.

            Celebrate not only the courses that made an impact on your philosophy, but the people who taught those courses, too.  If they are as good as you say they are, it is very likely the interviewer will know who they are (by reputation) and will know how they have influenced other teachers hired by the district.

INSIDER TIP:
     Interviewers are most interested in hiring your strengths and achievements.  They especially want what you have done or what you can do – not simply what you believe, or feel, or think.

No comments:

Post a Comment