Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Single-Most Important Question You Must Always Answer! - Part II

Here’s how another candidate answered the question:
            Heather wanted to teach more than anything else in the world.  She also knew that the competition for the 10th grade social studies position at Central High School was fierce.  Six students from her college were applying for that position in addition to dozens of others from various colleges and universities.  The principal, Mr. Grove, had a tough choice to make.
            During the course of the interview, Mr. Grove made two or three references to the school newspaper – it had gone through four different student editors since the start of the year and the morale among the staff was low.  Heather sensed his concern and in response to the following question – “What would you say is your greatest strength?” – Heather replied:  “I’m a goal-oriented person.  My greatest strength is my ability to be organized and stay organized.  My classroom and my lesson plans are always well-planned and in order.  For example, I believe I can bring those organizational skills to the school newspaper.  I worked for two years on the college newspaper before my student teaching semester.  I’ve taken a few journalism courses and interned at our local newspaper one summer – my uncle is the managing editor – where I worked in a number of departments.  I enjoy a challenge and would welcome the opportunity to bring by background of experiences with journalism and newspapers to Central High School.  If assigned as a faculty advisor, I can assure you of a newspaper operation that will be successful…and very organized.”

Notice how Heather quickly surmised that the operation of the school newspaper was an ongoing concern of the principal.  She quickly looked for an opportunity to share how her unique experiences and qualifications might help the principal’s job a little easier.

How will this person make my job easier?

            As you might guess the key to answering this never-asked question is to be prepared before the interview and to listen carefully for clues during the interview when you can provide several responses to the query.  By visiting the school ahead of time, by checking out the school or district web site, by talking with teachers, students, or parents in the local community, you can obtain some very valuable information that will help you formulate appropriate answers during the course of the interview.  Every principal has challenges that he or she must meet.  If you can show how you can assist in that process, then you will be establishing yourself as a candidate that any principal would love to have on the staff.
Next blog - Part III

No comments:

Post a Comment