Monday, May 15, 2017

Why Weren't Your Grades Better?

Here's a tricky question that frequently comes up in an interview situation - particularly when your GPA isn't as strong as you would like.  Obviously, you don't want to hide from the truth...rather you want to be completely open and honest with the interviewer.  Your honesty will play a large role in the eventual hiring decision.

     Why weren’t your grades better?

     A:   I had a great educational experience.  I learned a lot while in college – not only about the art of teaching, but also about myself.  I learned that if you want to succeed you need to devote yourself 100% all the time.  When I first got to college I was overwhelmed by all the requirements, all the responsibilities, and all the activities on and off campus.  I got involved in lots of clubs, lots of organizations, and lots of extra-curricular activities.  As a result, my grades suffered during my first two years.  It was only when I was enrolled in my teacher-preparation courses that I realized that I would need to buckle down and commit myself 100% to my chosen profession.
Whatever you do – don’t make excuses when answering this question.  Always take responsibility for your actions (or inactions).  Don’t try to bluff your way out of this question – the interviewer probably has seen your transcript and knows exactly what your GPA is.  Own up to your mistakes, take responsibility, and show how you have grown as a result.  Never get defensive or place blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment