Saturday, February 11, 2017

What Would You Like to Improve About Yourself?


One of the most important things a principal wants to learn about you is your philosophy.  What do you believe and why do you believe those things?  Your philosophy will reveal personality traits that will determine how successful you will be as a classroom teacher.  Now is the time to make sure your philosophy is well-grounded, robust, and genuine.  Here's a philosophical question frequently asked in interviews:

     What two things would you like to improve about yourself?

     A:   The two things I would like to improve on over the next few years are my computer skills and my time management skills.  I’m currently addressing my computer skills in a course I plan to take this summer at Prestigious University.  While I can effectively integrate technology into all my subject areas, the field is changing so rapidly that I should make sure I’m getting the latest information.  It’s a process I plan to continue throughout my teaching career.  I’d also like to improve my time management.  I tend to be one of those people who always tries to do too much.  I often find that there are not enough hours in the day to get everything accomplished.  I need to prioritize my work better and give myself some time for reflection and inquiry.

Interviewers often ask this question in order to find out about some of your weaknesses.  It’s always a good idea to respond with “deficits” that everyone wrestles with.  Things like time management, patience, technological skills, and attitude are items we all could improve.  The best answer for this question is one that focuses on “improvements” related directly to teaching.  In other words, don’t tell the interviewer that you’d like to improve the quality of the beverages at your Friday night poker game or that you’d like to have more time to update your Facebook page this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment