Sunday, December 4, 2016

What Are Your Expectations?

One of the constant themes of most teacher interviews revolves around your reasons for getting into the education profession.  One of the most commonly asked interview questions is, "Why do you want to teach?"  Your ability to respond to that query is often the deciding factor in whether you are offered a job.  Here's another similar question:

     What three expectations do you hold for yourself?

     A:   When I’m teaching children I always want to be fair and consistent.  I know that fairness isn’t about treating everyone the same, it’s giving everyone what they need.  I also want to be flexible.  I know that no two teaching days are the same and I need to be able to bend, adjust, and modify at the proverbial drop of a hat.  If I can’t change when something comes up unexpectedly then I may be cheating my students out of some wonderful learning opportunities.  But, above all, I expect myself to be a good role model for children.  I want to display all the joy and excitement I have about education and let my students be part of that enthusiasm.  I’ve always believed that good teachers are good models and I never want to forget that in any classroom or any academic activity.
This is the flip side of ‘Why do you want to teach?”  Can you provide the interviewer with three concrete reasons why you entered this profession?  Can you convincingly explain, in a few short sentences, your motivation for teaching?
 
Need some resources?  Insights?  Advice?
Then, take a look at the new web site:

No comments:

Post a Comment