Saturday, November 12, 2016

A Second Career Choice?

It is not unusual to be asked a "zinger" - a particularly challenging question designed to determine the strength of your philosophy or the intensity of your commitment to teaching.  Here's an example that frequently pops up in many interviews:

     What was your second career choice?

     A:   I’ve never considered anything else but teaching.  I’ve been influenced by many teachers in my life – from elementary school all the way through college.  I know how one teacher can change the life of one student.  Perhaps I was that student – an average individual who was pushed to excel by Mrs. McDonald in sixth grade, challenged to go above and beyond by Mr. Donahoe in tenth grade, and inspired to create a “hands-on, minds-on” curriculum by Dr. Oliver in college.  Teachers have had a profound influence in my life and I would like to make the same kind of difference in the lives of my students.  I can’t think of any other profession, or any other occupation, that would give me the opportunity to change lives – in such a positive way – as teaching.  For me, there is no second career.  I want to teach!
Don’t even think about suggesting an alternate career path.  This is when you must convince the interviewer – beyond a shadow of a doubt – that your life’s mission is teaching.  Demonstrate your singular passion for the field and let it be clear that teaching is in your blood, is an integral part of who you are, and is the singular pursuit of your life.  This is not the time to be wishy-washy – this is the time to be clear, passionate, and compelling about your career choice.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT THE NEW WEB SITE?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment