Saturday, July 9, 2016

Why Do You Want to Teach?

What is your educational or teaching philosophy?  This is a question that will come up in every single interview.  You must be prepared to answer it with conviction, determination, and sincerity.  The question may take one of several forms, but it will be asked at some point in the discussion.  This is one query you want to practice several times - it has the potential to make all the difference in the world.  Don't wimp out on this one.

     Why do you want to teach?

     A:   I had a professor in college who always used to say, “To learn is to change.”  That saying has always influenced me simply because I can see all the positive changes that have occurred in my life through education.  I want those changes to be part of what I can share with young people.  I want students to see how education can not only keep us current, but can also keep us growing, and changing, throughout our lives.  It’s not the accumulation of knowledge that is important, it is what we do with that knowledge that keeps change happening, and that keeps us growing.  I want to initiate and fan those flames in my students as much as my teachers have done in me.
Provide some evidence that you have given this question serious consideration.   Make sure a sincere and committed desire to teach comes through loud and clear.  Every principal has heard the all-too-common response, “Because I want to make a difference in kids’ lives.”  Try something new, something that refers to a specific reason or incident in your life that propelled you into education.  This would be a very good opportunity to weave a short anecdote or brief personal story into your response.

No comments:

Post a Comment