Saturday, July 23, 2016

Teaching Learning Disabled Students

Here’s a question that frequently arises in teacher interviews, for both elementary and secondary positions.  This is a grand opportunity for you to show both a breadth and depth of knowledge about special needs students
What are some strategies you plan on using to teach learning disabled students?
     A:   I am aware that learning disabled students will present me with some unique and distinctive challenges.  Therefore, it is important for me to remember that LD students are not students who are incapacitated or unable to learn; rather, they need differentiated instruction tailored to their distinctive learning abilities.  Some of the strategies I plan to use include, 1) I plan to provide learning disabled students with frequent progress checks.  I want them to know how well they are progressing toward an individual or class goal.  2) I plan to give immediate feedback to my learning disabled students.  They need to see quickly the relationship between what was taught and what was learned.  3) Whenever possible, I need to make my activities concise and short.  Long, drawn-out projects are particularly frustrating for a learning disabled child.  And, 4) I know that learning disabled children need and should get lots of multisensory experiences.  A multisensory approach will help these students learn to the best of their abilities.  I’m confident I can address the specific needs of the learning disabled students in my classroom.
If you are “running neck and neck” with another candidate, your detailed and specific response to this question will always tip the scales in your favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment