Sunday, June 12, 2016

Why Weren't Your Grades Better?

Let's assume you don't have a 4.0 GPA (I certainly didn't).  You may be worried that your grades will be an impediment to getting a teaching position.  Don't be!  You didn't get to this stage in the hiring process solely because of your GPA.  You got here because of other skills, talents, and qualifications.  As a result, the following question is one often posed during an interview.  How you answer it will reveal a lot about your personality and your educational perspective.
     
Why weren’t your grades better?
A:   I had a great educational experience.  I learned a lot while in college – not only about the art of teaching, but also about myself.  I learned that if you want to succeed you need to devote yourself 100% all the time.  When I first got to college I was overwhelmed by all the requirements, all the responsibilities, and all the activities on and off campus.  I got involved in lots of clubs, lots of organizations, and lots of extra-curricular activities.  As a result, my grades suffered during my first two years.  It was only when I was enrolled in my teacher-preparation courses that I realized that I would need to buckle down and commit myself 100% to my chosen profession.
Whatever you do – don’t make excuses when answering this question.  Always take responsibility for your actions (or inactions).  Don’t try to bluff your way out of this question – the interviewer probably has seen your transcript and knows exactly what your GPA is.  Own up to your mistakes, take responsibility, and show how you have grown as a result.  Never get defensive or place blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment