Monday, May 30, 2016

Other Teaching Experiences

In most interviews, the interviewer wants to know if you’ve had varied and diverse opportunities in working with children.  Have you experienced diverse populations of kids and have you been involved in an eclectic array of child-centered activities?
 
What experiences have you had working with students other than student teaching?

A:   For the past three years I have been a volleyball coach at the local YMCA – working with the junior volleyball team.  I have been an after-school tutor at the West End Community Center on Thursday evenings – helping youngsters with various homework assignments.  Each summer I am a volunteer reader at Long Valley Regional Library where I share books and stories with three to five year olds.  I’ve been a camp counselor for four years at the Big Mountain Nature Camp and I’ve helped supervise playground activities during the annual Spring Fling held each year in Centerville.  I guess I’ve always been attracted to kids and take every opportunity I can to work with them, teach them, and be a positive influence in their lives.
Bottom line: The more programs and activities you’ve experienced – beyond student teaching - the better your chances at obtaining a teaching position.
 
Check this out:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment