Saturday, May 7, 2016

If I hired you....

Here's a common question that offers you an opportunity to show how well-prepared you are and whether you have thought sufficiently about the future.  You can really solidify your standing with the interviewer by responding with a very concrete and very well-planned response. 
 
If I hired you today, what would you do first?
     A:   First I would obtain the entire fourth grade curriculum and all the associated textbooks.  I would try to learn as much about the program as I possibly could.  Next, I would want to interview several of the other fourth grade teachers and see what challenges they have faced over the past year and how they have addressed some of those concerns.  Third, I would pull out some of my college textbooks, or perhaps talk with one or two of my former professors, to review important information on classroom management and discipline.  Above all, I would do my homework and make sure I was ready to “hit the ground running” on the first day of classes in August.
Identify two or three specific points and why you consider them important.  Show that you have thought about this question well in advance of the interview by being succinct, direct, and focused.  The ability to plan ahead is a key factor in any teacher’s success – this question (and your response) shows that you are one who can.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment