Wednesday, September 7, 2011

How do you deal with stress?

     Q:  How do you deal with stress?
     A:   I went into teaching knowing full well that it would be a stressful profession.  During my teacher education program I have developed several strategies to deal with the day-to-day stressors that inevitably come with the job.  I belong to a health club which I visit four times a week.  On weekends I take long “power walks” through the woods near where I live.  I’m learning about yoga and some of the benefits it offers to help individuals achieve a sense of harmony.  I belong to a book discussion group, take watercolor classes at the local art association, and I have an active circle of friends.  I try to maintain a wide diversity of physical and mental options that help me achieve balance in my life.

            Don’t make the mistake of saying that you are not stressed by teaching – the interviewer will know, right away, that you are less than honest.  He or she has had numerous years of experience as a former classroom teacher and will know that stress is an inevitable part of the job.  Be up front and let the interviewer know that stress + teaching go hand in hand.  But, also share the strategies and techniques that help you maintain a balance in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment