Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mistakes You Can't Afford!

   Know-it-alls
Ever since I first began teaching more than 40 years ago I have always lived by one simple philosophy: “The best teachers are those who have as much to learn as they do to teach.”  Simply stated, good teachers are good learners.  Don’t think for a minute…or even a second…that just because you’re about to get your college degree you know everything there is to know about teaching.  I don’t…and you certainly don’t!  Come into an interview thinking you have all the answers to all of education’s challenges and you will soon find yourself on the outside of the school looking in.  Here’s the reality – I’m not an expert and neither are you.  I certainly have more experience than you, but I still have a lot I’d like to learn.  So should you.  Your learning doesn’t end with graduation – guess what, it’s just beginning.  Let a principal know that learning is a lifelong mission (rather than a completed task) for you and you’ll score major points in an interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment