Friday, November 12, 2010

How would your best friend describe you?

Q:  How would your best friend describe you?
     A:   I’ve known Brian ever since we were in seventh grade at Carbondale Academy for Boys.  He would probably say that I was determined, because I’m always setting goals for myself and working to make sure they are all accomplished.  He would also say that I have a unique sense of humor, particularly puns, because I’m always trying to manipulate words and phrases in humorous way.  And, he would also say that I’m a hard worker.  Once I start a job I just can’t let go until its finished.

            A good response to this frequently-asked question is to focus on three personality features that carry over into the classroom.  Traits such as hard worker, goal-oriented person, accomplished musician, good listener are all traits of good teachers and are traits that should be brought to the attention of the interviewer.  Don’t share traits (even though they may be true) of qualities that are not classroom-related.  Your ability to dismantle the engine in a ’57 Chevy or ride a Brahma bull for a minimum of eight seconds are not classroom-related attributes.  Decide ahead of time on the three traits, talents, or personality dynamics you want to emphasize – particularly as they relate to classroom life.

No comments:

Post a Comment